Kilcummin (Cill Chuimín - the church of St. Cummian) is a parish situated in the Barony of Magunihy. It incorporates 14,890 acres, measuring approximately nine miles east/west, by four ¼ miles north/south, with a population of in the region of 2,000. Our nearest neighbours are the parishes of Killarney, Firies, Currow, Scartaglen, Rathmore and Glenflesk. Kilcummin is drained mainly by the River Deenagh which rises in Toremore, and the Gweestin River which has its source in Cockhill. Tributaries of the Owenachree drain the eastern side of the parish. There are two lakes, Lacca and a small lifeless lake Loch Doolig in Reenalougha. The highest point at 1085 feet, is in Knockatagglemore.
According to a survey undertaken by the Irish Tourist Association in 1945, Kilcummin is described as embracing wide stretches of peat land which are in striking contrast to its fertile fields. From many points in the parish, there are "entrancing views of the entire Killarney lake, mountain and woodland district". It also states that a glacier carried all the stones from the S.E. side of the parish to Kilbrean. The only line of chalk that survives in Country Kerry can be found in Ballydunlea in Martin Fleming’s land.
The earliest mention of Kilcummin is in the "King’s History of Kerry", which states that in 1302, Kilcummin was valued for tithes at 3s 4d. At one time this parish was much larger that it is today, it stretched as far east as Stagmount and Rathmore, consisting of 67 townlands in all. Knockaninane East/West were not included as they were part of Killamey parish. It is estimated that the old Parish divided into its present state sometime between the years 1785 and 1793, since before 1785 one priest was of service to the whole area, however by 1793 we had our own separate Parish Priest.
Things have changed a lot however, in the intervening two centuries since then. With Killarney town ever expanding, and transport more efficient and more readily available, the dividing line between town and country seems to be fading with every passing year. Nevertheless Kilcummin is still essentially a rural parish and mainly agricultural; supporting three schools, one pub, one church, a post office and many thriving local enterprises.
Information taken from "Kilcummin Glimpses of the Past "